Camille Lacourt is one of the French swimming team's best hopes for a medal when he goes for gold in the 100m backstroke.
The 29-year old has an outstanding pedigree, two years ago he was crowned European champion and last year he shared the gold medal at the World Championships in Shanghai after finishing with exactly the same time as compatriot Jérémy Stravius.
Now he is ready for the big one.
SOUNDBITE 1 Camille Lacourt, World 100m backstroke champion (French, 19 sec)
"The Olympics is the high-water mark, the final competition, it is the dream of every sportsman to take part. I have this oppertunity and I am going to try and take full advantage . I am not someone who feels lots of pressure so on that level everything is fine. I have a lot of desire, a strong determination and I really want this."
As befits the Olympics, Lacourt will come up against a formidable opponent in the form of Matt Grevers. The American clocked the fastest time of the year in the 100m backstroke at teh US Olympic trials in June.
Grevers also has experience having won silver in Beijing four years ago - it all adds up to a mouthwatering contest - one Lacourt is looking forward to.
SOUNDBITE 2 Camille Lacourt, World 100m backstroke champion (French, 12 sec)
When I finish even if I finish third, fourth or don't even reach the final as long as I have given my al and it was a case of him being stronger - that is sport. But I will do my best to make sure this doesn't happen. “
Lacourt is very much the poster-boy of the French team with a number of commercial endorsements back in his homeland.
Last year, his public profile was occasionly something of a distraction, this year however he is fully concentrated on bringing home the biggest prize of all.
Various dates and locations in France
- VAR Camille Lacourt training, DUNKIRK, 18 July 2012
SOUNDBITE 1 DUNKIRK, 18 July 2012
- VAR Camille Lacourt at French championships, DUNKIRK, , 18 March 2012
SOUNDBITE 2 DUNKIRK, 18 July 2012
- Camille Lacourt during press conference, DUNKIRK, , 18 March 2012
- VAR Camille Lacourt, at French training camp, VAL D'ISERE, 29 August 2011
Overall Medal Count
- A pair of LeBron James-brand Nikes are … Ball Don't Lie - Wed, Jun 19, 2013 12:10 AM PHT
- Miami Heat fans leave NBA Finals Game … Ball Don't Lie - 14 hours ago
- Lolo Jones has earned $741.84 bobsl … Fourth-Place Medal - Tue, Jun 18, 2013 9:01 AM PHT
- Diving legend Greg Louganis getting … Fourth-Place Medal - Tue, Jun 18, 2013 11:53 PM PHT
- LeBron James loses his headband, which … Ball Don't Lie - 5 hours ago
Olympic bits you must know
Spotlight on Filipino Olympians
- PBA backs SBP's bid to host 2013 FIBA-Asia tilt
- Barriga loss stands as protest is rejected
- 'I don't want to celebrate just yet' - Barriga
- Olympic Stories: Father and Son Medalists
- Olympic Stories: The Early Medalists
- 100 Olympic Tidbits: The Last Filipino Medalist
- Three Pinoy Olympic bets and their medal hopes
- Olympic Stories: Freddie Webb
- 100 Olympic Tidbits: First Asian Olympiad
- Suarez can still make it to London