By Greg Stobart
Liverpool are plotting a double swoop on German club Schalke for midfielder Lewis Holtby and striker Julian Draxler, Goal.com can reveal.
Reds manager Brendan Rodgers is looking to freshen up his squad and the youngsters, both Germany internationals, fit the bill in two areas he most wants to strengthen.
Liverpool face a tough task in completing a move for either player, but the early indication is that Holtby appears a more realistic option as his current contract expires next summer and he is yet to extend his deal.
Meanwhile, Draxler, who is just 18, is considered a future superstar and is almost certain to stay at the Veltins-Arena as Schalke plan to make him the face of the club.
Though a move for Holtby is more feasible, the player's agent has told Goal.com that he is in talks over a new contract and Schalke are eager to keep their all-action midfielder.
The 21-year-old, who shares dual English and German nationality, has previously talked up a future move to the Premier League and has declared a desire to one day play for Everton, his boyhood club and Liverpool’s city rivals.
Goal.com revealed on Tuesday that Rodgers wants to sign £10 million-rated Joe Allen from Swansea but Holtby, who scored nine goals in 41 appearances last season for Schalke, remains high on his list of targets.
Draxler netted just five times last term but was mainly used as a substitute as he was eased in to the side, with the coming season marked as his breakthrough year following the departure of Spanish legend Raul.
Liverpool are in the market for a goalscorer, especially with Andy Carroll likely to leave Anfield, but German sources insist Draxler would be too expensive for the Merseyside club and would only leave Schalke for one of the two Spanish giants, Barcelona or Real Madrid.
Follow Greg Stobart on
News for you
- Yahoo PH Sports - 5 hours ago
- Ball Don't Lie - 23 hours ago
- Reuters - 14 hours ago
Just 11 days after Kobe Bryant made his long-awaited return for the Los Angeles Lakers, the shooting guard is expected to be out for "approximately six weeks" because of a knee injury, the team announced on Thursday. The 35-year-old, who spent almost eight months on the sidelines with a torn left Achilles' tendon before making his comeback on December 8, hyper-extended his left knee during Tuesday's 96-92 win against the Grizzlies in Memphis. "Results of the MRI show that Bryant has a …
PSL Grand Prix Championship Day: PLDT MyDSL outlasts Systema to cop men’s title, TMS-Army captures second …
YNARES SPORTS COMPLEX, Pasig City—Before a near capacity crowd—which included Philippine Senate President Franklin Drilon and Senator JV Ejercito—The PLDT MyDSL … More »Sun, Dec 15, 2013 2:24 AM PHT
Rubilen Amit came into the tournament as the best women's 10 Ball player in the planet. Now you can call her the top women's 10 ball shooter in South East Asia as … More »2 hours 7 minutes ago
Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.
Most Popular »
Today on Yahoo
- Svindal makes history with third super-G win AFP News - 9 minutes ago
- Djokovic call even surprised me, says Becker Reuters - 15 minutes ago
- Suarez deal cements Liverpool's return to the elite GOAL.com - 20 minutes ago
- Cardiff boss Mackay faces showdown with Tan AFP News - 31 minutes ago
- Season of goodwill? Not for England's unloved managers Reuters - 31 minutes ago
After a week of action, how many gold medals do you think Team PH will win now?