By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent
Cesar Azpilicueta is poised to complete a £7.9million move to Chelsea early next week, Goal.com has learned.
The Marseille defender’s representatives were in London on Friday to discuss personal terms and put the finishing touches on his switch to Stamford Bridge.
Sources have told Goal.com that Azpilicueta will play for Marseille in their Ligue 1 home fixture against Sochaux on Sunday before joining Chelsea early next week.
The two clubs have finally reached agreement on the fee to bring an end to a summer-long pursuit.
Chelsea released Jose Bosingwa earlier in the summer and have spent most of the window pursuing Azpilicueta as a replacement.
The former Spain Under-21 international, who represented his country in their disastrous Olympics campaign, is expected to slot straight into Roberto Di Matteo's team at right-back, where his main competition comes from veteran Paulo Ferreira and the versatile Branislav Ivanovic.
A product of Osasuna's youth system, he made his La Liga debut aged 17 and was a first-team regular at 18 before moving to the Stade Velodrom in 2010.
A knee injury kept him on the sidelines for six months in his first season at Marseille in but he went on to fully establish himself in the team last season.
- How Islamic is Islamic State group? … Associated Press - Tue, Mar 3, 2015 12:55 AM PHT
- Michael Jordan is now officially a billionaire, … Ball Don't Lie - Tue, Mar 3, 2015 2:29 AM PHT
- Toronto Police: men built mystery tunnel … Associated Press - Tue, Mar 3, 2015 5:12 AM PHT
- Ronda Rousey's latest movie project … Cagewriter - 20 hours ago
- Woman with slain Putin critic says she … Associated Press - 22 hours ago
Olympic bits you must know
Spotlight on Filipino Olympians
- Baldwin named SEABA, SEA Games coach
- Tab Baldwin to be named Gilas head coach soon - report
- Chot Reyes reacts to current Gilas status
- PBA, SBP begin search for next Gilas head coach
- Gilas Pilipinas program set for second reboot
- With a solitary gold, PH limps to one of its worst Asian Games performances
- PH gets BMX gold, another taekwondo bronze in Day 12
- Boxer Charly Suarez earns at least another bronze for PH in Day 10
- Ex-NBA coach Avery Johnson, Blazers Lopez and Matthews to visit Yolanda-hit areas
- Filipino archer Gabriel Moreno bags gold in Youth Olympic Games