By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent
Cesar Azpilicueta is poised to complete a £7.9million move to Chelsea early next week, Goal.com has learned.
The Marseille defender’s representatives were in London on Friday to discuss personal terms and put the finishing touches on his switch to Stamford Bridge.
Sources have told Goal.com that Azpilicueta will play for Marseille in their Ligue 1 home fixture against Sochaux on Sunday before joining Chelsea early next week.
The two clubs have finally reached agreement on the fee to bring an end to a summer-long pursuit.
Chelsea released Jose Bosingwa earlier in the summer and have spent most of the window pursuing Azpilicueta as a replacement.
The former Spain Under-21 international, who represented his country in their disastrous Olympics campaign, is expected to slot straight into Roberto Di Matteo's team at right-back, where his main competition comes from veteran Paulo Ferreira and the versatile Branislav Ivanovic.
A product of Osasuna's youth system, he made his La Liga debut aged 17 and was a first-team regular at 18 before moving to the Stade Velodrom in 2010.
A knee injury kept him on the sidelines for six months in his first season at Marseille in but he went on to fully establish himself in the team last season.
- Pacquiao's epic journey worth shari … For The Record - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 10:47 AM PHT
- Teething troubles for Chinese tourists … Associated Press - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 10:57 PM PHT
- Study: Samsung phone durable, but iPhone … Associated Press - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 5:07 AM PHT
- Chief: Suspects wore GPS devices during … Associated Press - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 12:51 PM PHT
- Damian Lillard offends Chris Webber … Ball Don't Lie - 15 hours ago
Olympic bits you must know
Spotlight on Filipino Olympians
- Michael Christian Martinez leaves Sochi injured but happy
- Mother of Martinez clarifies the Olympian’s financial situation
- Pinoy Pride: Martinez qualifies for medal round with impressive Olympic debut
- Pinoy skater Michael Martinez asks for prayers prior to his event
- Robert Jaworski returns to the PBA, shares his thoughts on Gilas Pilipinas
- Skater Martinez bucks asthma, lack of funding to reach the Winter Olympics
- Building champions for over 30 years
- With McGee and Blatche possibly replacing him, Douthit expresses support for Gilas
- SEAG Athletics: Team PH wins golds in long jump, 400m
- NBA Commissioner David Stern talks about globalization, stepping down, and his legacy