MANILA, Philippines --- Saying that he got the short end of the stick the three times he fought Manny Pacquiao, Mexico's Juan Manuel Marquez has laid down the terms in the event negotiations get underway for a fourth fight with the Filipino icon possibly in November.
The Mexico media has reported that Marquez will attempt to bring the fight to either Texas or California "and not in Nevada" where the 38-year-old counter-puncher said he had been robbed three times.
Marquez's three fights with Pacquiao were staged in Las Vegas. The first fight in May 2004 ended on a split draw, while the second went to Pacquiao's favor via a split verdict in March 2008 and the third was awarded to Pacquiao on a majority decision last year.
Marquez, who is training in Mexico City in preparation for a tune up fight in late-July or early-August, said it would also be much better if the athletic commission appoint one judge each from Mexico and the Philippines and a neutral judge from the US to officiate the fight.
But before talks for a Pacquiao-Marquez showdown begin, Pacquiao first has to get past Tim Bradley on June 9 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
And if Bradley scores an upset, Marquez will have to wait in line because Pacquiao is assured of a rematch in case he loses to Bradley this June.
Promoter Bob Arum said that should there be a second meeting between Pacquiao and Bradley, the fight will have to be held on Nov. 10, setting aside Marquez and all the others who are aching to cash in the Pacquiao sweepstakes.
Arum said he hasn't discussed anything with Pacquiao as far as his next fight is concerned.
"We are focused on Bradley and besides there'll be plenty of time to talk about it after the fight," said Arum.
But knowing the influence of Nevada, Marquez will have to bite the bullet and accept the terms that he has no other choice but to face Pacquiao in Las Vegas.