By Greg Stobart
Liverpool are plotting a double swoop on German club Schalke for midfielder Lewis Holtby and striker Julian Draxler, Goal.com can reveal.
Reds manager Brendan Rodgers is looking to freshen up his squad and the youngsters, both Germany internationals, fit the bill in two areas he most wants to strengthen.
Liverpool face a tough task in completing a move for either player, but the early indication is that Holtby appears a more realistic option as his current contract expires next summer and he is yet to extend his deal.
Meanwhile, Draxler, who is just 18, is considered a future superstar and is almost certain to stay at the Veltins-Arena as Schalke plan to make him the face of the club.
Though a move for Holtby is more feasible, the player's agent has told Goal.com that he is in talks over a new contract and Schalke are eager to keep their all-action midfielder.
The 21-year-old, who shares dual English and German nationality, has previously talked up a future move to the Premier League and has declared a desire to one day play for Everton, his boyhood club and Liverpool’s city rivals.
Goal.com revealed on Tuesday that Rodgers wants to sign £10 million-rated Joe Allen from Swansea but Holtby, who scored nine goals in 41 appearances last season for Schalke, remains high on his list of targets.
Draxler netted just five times last term but was mainly used as a substitute as he was eased in to the side, with the coming season marked as his breakthrough year following the departure of Spanish legend Raul.
Liverpool are in the market for a goalscorer, especially with Andy Carroll likely to leave Anfield, but German sources insist Draxler would be too expensive for the Merseyside club and would only leave Schalke for one of the two Spanish giants, Barcelona or Real Madrid.
Follow Greg Stobart on
It’s been a thrill having the opportunity to broadcast the PBA D-League Aspirants Cup. I mean, we’re talking about the future Philippine Basketball Association … More »Mon, Feb 16, 2015 3:54 AM PHT
Global loses 6-1 to South China AA of Hong Kong in the first match of the AFC Cup group stage on Wednesday. My thoughts. … More »Thu, Feb 26, 2015 1:57 PM PHT
Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.
- Bournemouth all but promoted to Premier League Reuters - 24 minutes ago
- Vermaelen now fully fit - Luis Enrique GOAL.com - 33 minutes ago
- Pirlo's dream five-a-side team GOAL.com - 34 minutes ago
- Taylor in line to lead new-look England against Ireland AFP News - 38 minutes ago
- Bournemouth on brink of promotion to Premier League AFP News - 40 minutes ago
Today on Yahoo
- Loretta Lynch sworn in as new US attorney general Associated Press - 10 minutes ago
- Utah lawmakers hold study session on police use of force Associated Press - 12 minutes ago
- Greek PM rules out early elections if bailout talks fail Associated Press - 12 minutes ago
- Kansas faces criticism for cost of sex offender program Associated Press - 13 minutes ago
- Kerry, Iran FM hold nuke talks in NY as Senate weighs move Associated Press - 14 minutes ago
We still have to ask you: What will happen in Pacquiao-Mayweather?